Have the holidays hit you like a speeding Polar Express, only to leave you feeling exhausted, and with very little holiday spirit? You are not alone! All too often this time of year brings bags of financial distress, emotional outbursts, stress beyond what anyone should have to bear. Our societal ideals of holiday gifts, perfect dishes, and long holiday hours are enough to unravel the most well organized, financially stable, and healthy human being.
But Alas! We’ve brought you our top five healthy holiday survival tips to help you hold it together through the toughest weeks of the year!
1. Nourish your body – remember even in this time of juggling tons of schedules, late night shopping, and extreme food budget, a good salad or sauteed wilted greens with almonds will take your body a lot further than that burger – no matter how good it sounds in the moment, it will slow you more than move you. (plus, you’ll be still wearing the burger come January 1, 2012!)
2. Relax – The holidays are truly meant to be enjoyable, but how can you be fully present when you are carrying the stress of the entire season in that crick in your neck? Take time out to get a massage (it’s only an hour!) or a nice balancing Reiki session!
3. Count your blessings – a space of gratitude will take you a long way! Before you lumber out of bed in the morning, cursing the day away, lay there and allow yourself to become fully awake. In this few moments, call to mind all your blessings. This will allow you to start your day on the right foot!
4. Connect with your community – join a meetup group (try meetup.com), connect with old friends on facebook, or a group of coworkers in celebration of the wonderful gifts we each have in our lives! Knowing you have community makes a great difference when facing the holidays!
5. Slow Down – This time of year can be the most demanding time of the entire year past. If you allow yourself to get swept up, it will sweep it all away before you know it and all that was meant to be enjoyed will be gone. Take time out to spend with your family, children, friends, loved ones, coworkers, and quite time for you. Chew your food, listen to the music and take note of the beautiful clear crisp sky. Doing so can make the difference in how the entire holiday feels.
Finally, the most important step of all…. ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!
With all the healthy holiday blessings you can imagine,
New Beginnings Health & Wellness Staff